Don't miss an episode. Subscribe to Growth Think Tank.
Jeff Havens is not your typical Keynote Speaker. Join us on this episode where we dive deep into the key elements of speaking. You may think content is everything when it comes to your speeches. Jeff tells us why it really isn’t. How can you distinguish yourself in your market? And then once you do that, how do you maintain a relationship with those who you’ve influenced and inspired? Tune in to discover!
Share the LOVE and TWEET about this episode.
Target Audience: Jeff is a professional speaker who speaks on topics under the professional development umbrella. What makes him distinct is his own unique high energy and humor.
What Jeff Wishes Most Speakers Knew
- Be nice to people- do not walk in with the energy like you are doing them a huge favor or a major service. Some speakers get big headed.
- Their Marketing is misrepresenting who they are.
- A lack of follow up with people (on whatever that may be) thank you notes, phone calls, etc.
Not enough people are distinguishing themselves in the market. Having your own unique Stage Presence is everything. If you want to stand in front of people for any reason, content is secondary to the delivery. Guess what? There are a million people who can deliver the content you can. The content itself is not unique. Focus more on how you DELIVER that content.
UNCRAPIFY Your LIFE!
Jeff often does talks where he starts off talking about how to “Outsourcing Blame.” In other words, he teaches people how to “do it effectively.” Obviously this is terrible advice and people catch on to this. But it’s about the entertainment and engagement quality to it. After the chuckles are in, he then educates the audience.
Jeff’s Follow Up Strategy
A lot of speakers tend to be lazy in this part. Your absolute best work is through referrals. Someone who has seen you speak can recommend you to others.
Jeff’s formula is contacting people every 3-4 weeks. This is often enough for people to remember who he is but not often enough that he is irritating them. It is basically a quick email that offers his availability. 90-95% of the time there is no response. But it doesn’t matter. It is just to remind people you exist. But don’t be spammy.
Jeff’s goal is to walk a fine line between being funny and educational. Everything he does reinforces that. Figure out what makes people laugh or feel inspired- what’s effective with one audience might very well be funny for another.
In this episode we’ll cover:
- Using your own UNIQUENESS to engage your audience
- How to be consistent with follow up
- Why HUMOR seriously works for Jeff
- Why the delivery of what you say is far more important than the content
- What key things Jeff wishes Speakers knew
Practical and Actionable:
Have a newsletter. Have some regular form of communication (could be video, etc). Create something regular so people don’t forget about you.
Resources and Links
- Start the Challenge: “Authority Gap” – Sign up to receive 5 daily videos that will guide you to bridging “the Authority Gap.” During the challenge, you will get a daily exercise showing a counter-intuitive way to go from “invisible” to a recognized authority.
- Sign up for the Free Training on the 3 Dangerous Trends Even Smart Business Owners Face That Keep Them From Attracting High-Value Clients and Building A Growing Business!
- Schedule Your Results Roadmap Talk with Gene
- Share the LOVE and TWEET about this episode.
- Be the AUTHORITY in your target market and SHOW UP DIFFERENTLY
- Leave a review in iTunes!
How is your business going…would you like to talk about it?
I love my audience of listeners. I really do. I would love to help you in some way. I started doing calls with listeners and realized that it was a great way to understand you.
Okay, then I formalized the process to offer a Results Roadmap… it is a private one-on-one call with me about your business. I want to help you see your roadmap with more clarity and confidence. Find out more about the Results Roadmap (it takes you to my personal website). This is not a sales pitch. Let me serve you.
A QUICK FAVOR
And lastly, please leave a rating and review for the Leaders in the Trenches on iTunes (or Stitcher) – it will help us in many ways, but it also inspires us to keep doing what we are doing here. Thank you in advance!