Don't miss an episode. Subscribe to Growth Think Tank.
Being overstimulated is no excuse to compromise our productivity. Peter Shankman, author of Faster Than Normal: Turbocharge Your Focus, Productivity, and Success with the Secrets of the ADHD Brain shares with us the keys to channeling our overstimulated brains. Try not to see distraction as a curse, but an opportunity. After all, at the root of distraction is the desire to access dopamine levels (the feel good hormone). Find out ways to increase your happiness and motivation in productive ways.
Share the LOVE and TWEET about this episode.
Target Audience: Peter serves individuals and companies. Whether it’s the CEO who needs help empowering his employees to create magical customer moments, to the Fortune 100 company that needs a better understanding of its employees, to the small business that doesn’t know where to begin
ADHD As A Gift Not a Curse
Peter believes ADHD is a superpower. In today’s world, most of us are overstimulated and have difficulty with productivity whether or not we have ADHD. Peter realized the success he has is because of his ADHD not in spite of it. He know chooses to see ADHD as a gift not a curse.
The truth is, the majority of the people out there have some level of distraction whether diagnosed with ADHD or not. This is because we are doing more things with more tools. Every time we get a text or any other type of notification, our body releases shots of dopamine. And we always want more of it.
There are 2 ways to create dopamine: the positive way and the negative way. Which route is the one that enhances productivity vs. the one that hinders it?
Here’s a “productivity myth:” people think that productivity means that things have to happen right away. Take things piece by piece – bit by bit. Start a PROCESS of productivity. When you break things down, you see that rituals succeed. Resolutions fail. A ritual is a practice or habit- that’s why it works.
What are the next level productivity hacks?
- START with exercise
Creating excess dopamine and adrenaline in your brain allows you to focus unbelievably more than normal.
Eliminate distraction! We waste a ridiculous amount of time thinking about things that don’t matter. For example, Peter chooses to have a very SIMPLE wardrobe so that he does not use up time thinking about what he has to wear. He also chooses to eats the same thing pretty much all the time. He pre- cooks his meals on sunday. This saves time and money!
Tools That Increase Productivity
Peter suggests using Ommwriter. This is a word processing program that shuts off everything on your computer as you write. This totally eliminates any distractions. Plus, any tools that help him to eliminate having to do (extra) things, such as hiring people who can do what you can’t do. Peter says, don’t bother utilizing your valuable time trying to do things you suck at!
One of the things that prevents people from doing a project is they think way too much before they get started. Try it. If it fails, learn from it. It is pointless to sit around and worry about how things will pan out.
Even scheduling things is done by Peter’s assistant. He does not allow himself access to his calendar because he has found that he ends up overthinking things. Thus ultimately slows down his productivity momentum.
In this episode we’ll cover:
- How to channel ADHD productively
- Utilizing your time wisely
- Tools that increase productivity
- How to eliminate overthinking
- Why dopamine is your friend
Peter, Who are YOU?
- How long is a perfect workout for you? Two 45 minute spin sessions
- Favorite activity? Swimming
- What do you eat for breakfast? Protein either with eggs or a shake
- Meals per day? 3
- Favorite tool on your phone? Tools within the google ecosystem. Or anything that helps with productivity
- One ritual you’d never give up? Exercise
- Bedtime? 8:30pm
Practical and Actionable:
Start understanding how to do the things that work for you. Everyone has the same 24 hours in the day. It’s about priorities not time.
Resources and Links
- Peter’s Website
- Grab your copy of Faster than Normal
- Get your copy of The Trap of Success & Join the BookClub
- Results Roadmap Session with GENE
- Best of Leaders in the Trenches Podcast Episodes
- Grab your checklist of essential things to do before & after your Speaking Gigs!
- Grab your free training video and get more speaking gigs HERE
- Start the Challenge: “Authority Gap” – Sign up to receive 5 daily videos that will guide you to bridging “the Authority Gap.” During the challenge, you will get a daily exercise showing a counter-intuitive way to go from “invisible” to a recognized authority.
- Be the AUTHORITY in your target market and SHOW UP DIFFERENTLY
- Share the LOVE and TWEET about this episode.
How is your business going…would you like to talk about it?
I love my audience of listeners. I really do. I would love to help you in some way. I started doing calls with listeners and realized that it was a great way to understand you.
Okay, then I formalized the process to offer a Results Roadmap… it is a private one-on-one call with me about your business. I want to help you see your roadmap with more clarity and confidence. Find out more about the Results Roadmap (it takes you to my personal website). This is not a sales pitch. Let me serve you.
A QUICK FAVOR
And lastly, please leave a rating and review for the Leaders in the Trenches on iTunes (or Stitcher) – it will help us in many ways, but it also inspires us to keep doing what we are doing here. Thank you in advance!